Whew. Today I had the opportunity to go to another school to hear about how they are using some digital learning tools. Truth be told, I am totally stoked! These programs have so much potential, and I can just see how the kids can get excited for learning like this. The depressing thing is that everything is contingent on one person getting our school up and running. We've got the programs, we're getting in serviced, we got the computers...but we don't have the networking capabilities, we don't have a strong tech coordinator who will alleviate the fears and discomfort of the naysayers, and we definitely don't have the urgency to want to make a digital change for our kids' sake. A teacher friend asked me the other day, "So what, with all this technology stuff, what are we supposed to do? CATER to the kids? I'm not here to cater to them." Sheesh, what was I supposed to say to that? And so my bottom line is...teach your students the way you'd want your CHILDREN taught. Give your students what you would want given to your CHILDREN. Ask yourself, would you want YOUR children taught by a teacher like you? AND BE HONEST. Seriously. And I'm not here to judge anyone as a teacher 'cuz I know there are about a gajillion things I need to work on. We just gotta be able to do some honest self reflecting...
Ah, so I digress...and I fail another day of not being judgmental toward people. I wouldn't say that I was being judgmental, but being irritated because I had a certain level of expectations and people's actions or reactions falling outside of those expectations feels a lot like being judgmental. And that just makes me feel junkalunka.
On the happy side, the sun is setting and this is my favorite time of the day. I told someone once that I love twilight (no, not 'cause of the book) because it's like you can hear the *sigh* of the world because we've made it through another day and there's the promise of an even better tomorrow. *SIGH*
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
HMM.
Posted by hotstones at 7:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I love that attitude. I agree completely. Teach kids the way you want yours taught. And yes, we are here to cater to the kids when it comes to teaching. You gotta wonder why some people even become teachers.
Post a Comment