BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 9, 2008

first day of vacation...

Did you ever have that feeling like you don't have anything important or interesting to say? LOL. I'm having that feeling right now. It's like my brain just up and shut down...

Here's my thoughts..
Brutal honesty is overrated. I mean, I'm slowly learning...wait, let me back up. A gf of mine told me once that her husband told HER that when it comes to telling someone something, it really doesn't matter if the person doesn't want to or is not ready to hear it. And I'm thinking, ok...but I REALLY WANT TO BE HONEST AND TELL THE PERSON LIKE IT IS!!! But why, if you do, and the person is not willing to hear it, all you've managed to do is look like a jack-a$$. Seriously. I mean, think about it. If the person is not ready to hear the "truth" or your version of the truth, what are the possible reactions: 1) Why, thank you for being honest, I'm going to change; 2) There might be some truth to what is being said, I'll think about it; 3) Frick you, you heartless bastard, who do you think you are saying that to me. Who are you? God's gift to _________? I am who and am, accept it or don't. LOL (so I got carried away with #3)

And I just think that most often...reactions fall in the #3.

OK, so here's a little story about the TRUTH. I recently had to quell a student problem. It started with a boy student being super mad and punching the wall. When I asked him what was wrong, he told me that there was a girl spreading a rumor about him. He said that this girl is telling people that as he was hugging his gf, he was looking at HER (the one spreading the rumor) and trying to make her jealous. So it sounded like he was being a jerk, hugging his gf and looking at someone else or something like that. He said that that was so far from the truth it wasn't even funny. So I talked to this gossip girl and tried to set it straight. And her reaction was, "It IS what he was doing, I saw it with my own two eyes! He looked at me! He was trying to make me jealous!" So, I told her, "No, that wasn't the truth. He wasn't trying to do that, and you need to stop spreading these rumors 'cause it's pissing people off and ruining the last days of school." "But it IS THE TRUTH! That's what I saw! That's the truth IN MY EYES! That's what I saw!!"
Oh boy, that's how it went for about 5 minutes. I had to tell her that just because that's what she perceived, that wasn't necessarily the truth of the matter.

I guess we're all like this huh? So sure that what we see through our own eyes is the TRUTH.

So to be honest, people who hide behind the "just being honest" need to own up to the fact that they just like to hurt people's feelings, think they're better than everyone else, and cling to this M.O. in order to build up their own self-esteem. "That's what I saw! That's the truth in MY eyes!" LOL.

1 comments:

J said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa...wait a minute...

I'm definitely one of those "just being honest" guys, and I self-reflected on your reasons as to why someone like me likes telling people the "truth" as I see it, and I can honestly say that I don't do it for those reasons. In fact, here are MY reasons (if anyone cared):

1) If everyone were honest with each other, the world would be a better place. Feelings are overrated. It just gets in the way of people doing what they're supposed to be doing.

2) For the most part, people have no problem pointing out my imperfections, so I think I have every right to tell people the truth, too.

3) If we're all trying to do what's right, shouldn't we all try to be honest, too?

4) I don't like people.