I am exhausted today. So, today was the first day of teaching World Youth Network lessons. Man, I thought I was only doing the first lessons, and didn't even look at the second lessons. I was scrambling, but thank goodness I did it before, so I could wing it. You know, there are moments when I can see that the kids really do get it. I mean, there was a flicker of..i dunno...understanding for one of my students when we were talking about how bullying causes emotional scars.
Bottomline, I think these lessons are pretty good (and I not just saying that because I helped create them), but it kinda depends on the delivery and the follow-through. I dunno, but at the end, I was pooped. And, it was only the first period!
Wait, does it count if I BULLY the kids into listening to what I have to say about BULLYING? LOL.
We ate sandwiches today...=( And we are eating sandwiches tomorrow...and wed...and thursday...
After school we had a meeting, where the person calling the meeting was a half hour late. BOO. I didn't really understand what we were really supposed to be talking about, but that grading can of worms is about to be opened soon. Some other things on my mind...I wanna be able to use department time to talk abut quadrant stuff. I don't wanna just talk about Quad D. I wanna talk about all the other things we're doing and where they fall. I mean, we've seen generic english stuffs and out them into categories, and we have the opportunity to look at "gold seal' lessons. But, I wanna talk about what we're doing now and where it falls, and how we can create higher level stuffs for that benchmark. And, yea, maybe I should stop bitching about it and do it on my own, but I want help. I want to collaborate. I'm tired of being told what to do, but not being shown how to do it or not given the opportunity work on it together.
You know how sometimes we go into a professional development class and the teacher is NOT using best practice to teach us how to USE best practice in the classroom? Sometimes, I feel like with some of the "important" things at school, it's lacking in "best practice" upon delivery then some peeps get all hu-hu when it's not done "right." Sometimes it's like we're just "telling the kids it's important, giving the assignment, and being pissy about the results" and that's it. No modeling, no guided practice, no formatives along the way...Ah, I dunno...I'm tired. When it comes to presenting important things to the staff, things that we need to do or things we need to learn, are we approaching it like how we SHOULD teach a lesson in our classroom? If not, shouldn't we be?
Ah, I'm spent.
Monday, October 20, 2008
T(I'm)E SPENT...
Posted by hotstones at 8:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I am glad WYN went well for you. The 8th graders were NOT happy about doing the same lesson from last year. I think that the program is great for the 7th graders, but it needs to move forward in the eighth grade. 7th grade = awareness. 8th grade should = action. I talked to both Fiona and Chrystal, but after talking about my issues of the 8th grade curriculum with Brant, I figured out how I'm going to approach it. Surprisingly, I got some pretty good ideas with him.
As far as the higher ups teaching the teachers using best practice... How 'bout a round of applause, standing ovation...
Good thoughts, woman! I would love to actually be given time to collaborate and discuss the stuff we're doing NOW, too!
Night. Sleep tight, we got another riveting class tomorrow.
Post a Comment