BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

and then she finally exhaled...

Okay, so today was the presentation. I gotta tell you, I was super nervous. I know, I didn't even have to talk, so why would I have to be nervous for right? Well, when it comes to our faculty, sometimes I feel like it's a one shot deal. Like, if you don't make a good first impression, then you can kiss any buy-in goodbye. 

Anyway, why was I stressed about it? First of all, we were way behind in the planning of the presentation. Then, just when things were starting to fall into place, they cancelled school on Friday. That meant, I wouldn't get to talk to boss until Tuesday, didn't get to meet with her about the part she was presenting, didn't get to get the stats from her, didn't get to give a hard copy to the rest of the team. Ok, so there was nothing I could do about that. Then, on Tuesday, boss had an all day meeting and didn't come to school. Blech, I thought I was going to barf. Luckily, I've surrounded myself with some pretty awesome people who helped me get the information I needed and an awesome team who met with me at the last minute to finalize the presentation. I finally got first-hand experience about what blakety blake and thomas always talk about. I mean, I went in at 12:00 and we talked about what she was going to say. And, she was pretty darn good. She was concise and to the point. She followed the slides. She made good connections. WTF happened in the span of 45 minutes? What was supposed to take 5 minutes took 25-30 minutes! Good grief. Anyway, I thought the team kicked butt. THANK YOU.

Someone asked me today why I didn't want to speak. That's a good question that goes beyond just the fear of speaking in front of the faculty. When it comes our faculty, my heart is a palimpsest. As much as I say that I'm over it, there are some words that were said that make me just a little bit gun shy. Pride is a dangerous, dangerous thing and dang it, having someone yelling in your face telling you you have no respect for others and that the things you do at school are done for selfish reasons, well...that's not something you quickly forget. Anyway. It's time to suck it up and git 'er done.

Other things that made me HAPPY...

  • got some new eyeshadows!  super duper cool!  And lots of colors to play with! 
  • got a new school bag!  super super super cool!  (thank you, d!)
  • mark a whole bunch of days off and i got to spend time with him
  • saw gran torino...freakin' good movie!  Clint Eastwood is a badass!
  • played cards and won
  • cold weather...love the cold weather
  • got the shower fixed and the plumber did it for free
 I am blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great collaborative effort. You had data, emotion, stories, and humor.

I think at the end people were thinking, "Wow...How come I wasn't asked to be in AVID?" Let's hope that continues and next year they ask, "How can I be on the next AVID team?"

Mrs. Tamashiro said...

I concur. Great job. The presentation was well put together and well thought out.