I'm so depressed I feel like changing my middle name to Emo.
There was an incident at school today that truly made me sad. Without going into detail, a kid made a stupid, stupid decision and now faces a one year expulsion.
I worry about my students. I feel sad knowing that there are kids who are so afraid to come to school. I worry that kids don't feel safe or trusting enough to tell an adult when someone is threatening them. I worry about the things they think they have to deal with alone because they have no one to turn to. I am angry that kids don't get a fair shake from some of their teachers.
We talk about things like rigor and relevance and all these things that will make us a great school, but does it really matter if we can't relate to these kids? How can we be FOR the kids if we don't really KNOW kids? I mean if a kid is getting threatened at school, made to feel like a moron by his teacher, getting beat down at home, has a crackhead mom, don't know where her next meal is coming from, can't afford the $3 for a field trip, do we honestly believe these kids are going to give a flying fark about the rigor or how relevant your freaking lesson is?
I'm sad...
1 comments:
And unfortunately it just seems to get worse in High School... where a prevalent attitude is "I'm presenting the material... it's your fault if you don't take advantage of it" and "I'll teach you the important lesson of accountability... who cares about the learning." I wouldn't say I'm depressed... but I do get frustrated... and yeah, sad.
That said, there are a lot who do care.
Post a Comment